More than 180 interested people representing businesses, educational institutions, industry associations, government agencies and Trade Team PEI partners attended the annual Trade Team PEI Export Day. Key elements of this year’s event included,
- Welcoming remarks from Hon. J. Heath MacDonald, Minister of Economic Development & Tourism.
- A keynote address on the Global Economic Outlook (see attached presentation) from Stuart Bergman, Deputy Chief Economist & Director, Economic & Political Intelligence Centre, Export Development Canada.
- The launch of the new Export Readiness Training Program which will assist both companies that are currently exporting and companies that are preparing to do so. The program will take companies through a customized program from self-assessment, training workshops, tools and mentoring, to in-market experience (see attached presentation).
- The launch of the Trade Team PEI schedule of events & activities for the coming season. This schedule was developed after extensive feedback and involvement from industry, associations and other relevant stakeholders.
- A Power Panel Discussion on Strengthening Prince Edward Island’s Presence in a Dynamic Global Economy. Panelists included, Patrick Binns, former Premier of Prince Edward Island, Canadian Ambassador to Ireland and Canadian Consul General (Boston), David Chaundy, Chief Economist with the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (see attached presentation), Terry Ennis, President & Chief Executive Officer of Atlantic Aqua Farms, and Kal Whitnell, Senior Director of Economic Research & Trade Negotiations, Department of Economic Development & Tourism (see attached presentation).
- The Honourable H. Wade MacLauchlan, Premier of Prince Edward Island addressing the audience during lunch and delivering a very motivational and encouraging talk on our growth going forward.
- The presentation of the Trade Team PEI Exporter of the year Award from Premier MacLauchlan to PEI Mussel King Inc., a very deserving recipient for their ongoing export development efforts. Esther Dockendorff, President of PEI Mussel King, accepted the award on behalf of the company delivering a heartfelt speech recognizing the hard work of her father, her family, and all of the employees of the company. The award was designed and fabricated in partnership with the new Fablab at the UPEI Design Engineering School.
Important to note that several speakers and participants at the event made very positive remarks referring to the benefits and success they have obtained through assistance provided by Trade Team PEI. For more information on Export Day please contact the Trade Team PEI office by email.